During the two years in The Broad Residency, Residents gain valuable experience within school districts, charter management organizations and departments of education. They bring their skills and experiences to add value to their organizations, putting conditions in place that allow good teachers to do great work and ensure that students of all backgrounds have the opportunity to learn and thrive. During the Residency, their projects focus on one or more of the following:
- Ensuring that adequate funding and resources reach the classroom through efficient operations
- Empowering teachers with the tools and support that they need to meet the needs of every child
- Engaging with and collaborating with the community
- Creating data driven systems that enable the entire organization to continuously improve
Read the Day in the Life Journals of current Residents to learn more about their work.
Upon completion of the program, Residents will:
- Understand and respect the work, perspective and experiences of those working in schools
- Understand how urban school systems work and can be improved
- Apply management and leadership skills to execute high-impact change initiatives
- Become part of a thriving network of leaders in public education
- Leverage their knowledge, experiences and network to continue on your career path in urban public education
Read our Featured Profiles to learn more about Residents' work after The Broad Residency.
Residents’ projects vary depending on the organization, its structure, its focus on improvement efforts and its strategic plan. In general, the work follows a cycle in which the first few months are used to learn the landscape and improve processes. For the remainder of the first year, and into the second year, Residents immerse themselves in one or several projects focused on a particular area. During the second year, Residents generally begin the process of transitioning into a permanent role best suited for them.
Getting up to Speed
Tackling the Challenge
Prepare for Leadership Position
Sample Job Summaries
Ensuring that the right leaders and strongest educators are in place is vital for a charter management organization and its students to thrive. In addition, CMOs tend to be very lean organizations. As a result, retaining the best people and developing high-quality talent pipelines are key for a CMO’s long-term success.
With more freedom to operate as they see fit, but often doing so with less public funding than traditional district schools, charter management organizations have little room for error. Working in CMO operations promises fast-paced, demanding work, as well as an opportunity to help develop and execute growth plans to shape the future of the organization.
The bottom line for all school districts is to boost student learning. Working on the academic side of school district operations offers complex, high-impact work that reaches every school and every classroom. District instructional work ensures the appropriate design, development, implementation and evaluation of districtwide educational initiatives.
The Broad Residency is a unique opportunity for you to immediately impact the education of America’s students. Submit your resume today.