Day in the Life
Jose Iniguez

About Jose

Jose Iniguez
The Broad Residency 2018-2020

Jose Iniguez is a member of The Broad Residency's 2018-2020 cohort and serves as Director of High School Prep and Alumni Programs at Equitas Charter Schools.

Jul 19
5:40 a.m.

I beat my 6 am alarm after an early night to bed post-leadership retreat. I was in Temecula, CA for the past three days with other network leaders. I delay my morning shower, and instead start my day by playing the new episode of “The Daily” podcast.

7:00 a.m.

After throwing on my favorite pair of jeans (summer dress code for the win!), I make my way to our new network office officially opening tomorrow. I make a quick pit stop at a local coffee shop.

7:50 a.m.

I park my car and make my way into the network office. Before this summer, my desk was at our middle school serving 5th-8th graders; on my walk to our front door, I make a mental note to iron out plans to work out of the middle schools at least once a week to stay connected to the scholars I serve.

8:00 a.m.

I am most productive in the mornings and have unstructured desk time from 8 am to 10 am daily. On rare occasions I might have a morning meeting but I’ve been able to stick to it quite well since starting my role at Equitas. Typically, I spend the first hour replying to emails and addressing critical tasks that I can’t lose to the whirlwind of a workday. A critical task today is to follow up on an alum of our middle school, now a sophomore in high school, who is interested in switching to a stronger performing high school. I submit paperwork to our accounting team to process a scholarship payment for one of our recent 8th grade graduates attending a private high school this fall.

9:15 a.m.

Also on today’s desk time agenda: reflect on our leadership retreat, make an action plan to use key takeaways from the retreat, and consider topics to cascade down to my direct report. I finalize my one-on-one agenda for later today. I also share a template with the rest of the leadership team to support with post-retreat goal setting.

10:00 a.m.

It’s time for my weekly one-on-one meeting with my direct report. The next hour is very important to me, and I do everything I can to ensure I give it my undivided attention. I currently have one direct report, so we block out an hour (instead of the usual 30-minutes) for our one-on-one. Today we focus on finalizing our action plan to address the performance development goals we each submitted in our Year-End Performance Review. I share my goals and action plan with my direct report, too, so that we can support each other, hold each other accountable, and build a team culture of feedback and growth.

11:00 a.m.

I briefly check in with my team around a mass-text going out to our alumni regarding summer volunteer opportunities. I follow up with a possible vendor for the upcoming school year regarding college prep materials, and schedule a meeting with my operations/HR team to begin steps toward hiring an hourly contractor for tutoring services.

12:10 p.m.

A departing colleague who has been with the organization for years is being celebrated today as he moves on to his next role. Over a dozen colleagues, including the CEO, get together for a catered lunch.

12:45 p.m.

I transition back to my desk to prepare for a call with a service provider at 1 pm. A few weeks back, we hosted our summer alumni social that featured an external service provider for the first time. My team and I had debriefed before this week’s network retreat so we can share thoughtful feedback and move the partnership forward.

1:00 p.m.

My team and I call into the conference call. We gather insight into the service provider’s experience working with us and also share our key takeaways.

1:25 p.m.

I have only moved the essentials to our new network offices, so I make my way to the middle school where my workspace used to be to pack everything else up. While packing and unpacking is not on my list of favorite activities, I find gratitude in the move as it provides an opportunity to sift through one-year’s worth of files and forms, and make preparations for next year.

3:00 p.m.

I return back to the network space and organize the few items I personally brought. A moving company will be bringing most boxes later tomorrow.

3:20 p.m.

I revisit my notes from our leadership retreat around data, program effectiveness, and developing effective metrics. Last week, I spent two and a half days with my team reflecting on last year and prioritizing initiatives for the upcoming school year. With the insights gained at our retreat, I begin to build out my team’s metrics for assessing the effectiveness of those department initiatives for 2019-2020.

4:25 p.m.

I set aside my work on metrics in order to go through any new emails I would need to review before I leave the office. Nothing major, phew. I find myself able to leave the office a bit earlier than usual to make dinner with my cousin before a showing of “The Lion King.”

5:45 p.m.

I link up with my cousin for dinner. As I wait to hop into her car, I check my email and get a status update from an education non-profit on my application to mentor two local, first-generation 12th grade students of color applying to college in the year ahead. I need to complete a few training modules online by the end of the month, and I’m all good. Challenge accepted.

9:30 p.m.

We make our way home. Not one to usually schedule a mid-week outing, I scramble to fit my nightly routine in and still have a decent bed-time. I don’t squeeze in a run, but I squeeze in a bit of TV after my evening shower.

10:55 p.m.

I check my email one more time before turning off the lights, simply out of habit. I don’t reply to emails once I’m home unless they’re somewhat urgent, and all is good tonight. I do reply to messages from my siblings on my social media accounts though, and I have a giggle fit at a few memes they sent. I set my alarm for 6 am, and call it a day.