Day in the Life
Ted Holmes

About Ted

Ted Holmes
The Broad Residency 2018-2020
May 30
4:45 a.m.

I wake up excited to get to work because I am hosting a training for a new curriculum that the state developed for career exploration. The 16 trainers that were selected will lead professional development at various locations throughout the state. I plan to get to work early so that I can ensure all of the breakout rooms are setup and there aren’t any unexpected surprises.

I’ve started to work out again, so I try to get a quick workout, shower, and breakfast before I leave home.

6:30 a.m.

I leave home and head to my office at the Claiborne building in downtown Baton Rouge.

7:10 a.m.

I arrive at work and instead of heading up to my office, I go directly to the main meeting room to set up the room for training and ensure that everything is ready before the majority of the trainers arrive. Two of my trainers are already in the room, so I take this time to speak with them about the course and answer questions concerning their assignments for the summer.

7:30 a.m.

After making sure that the room is setup for training, I head up to my office to check my email and print out materials for one of the trainers. While performing these tasks, I receive an email asking me to drive over to another state building to proof the curriculum that we will issue out to teachers that are attending our training sessions around the state.

7:45 a.m.

I make it back down to the training room to meet our corporate partners who are leading the training.

9:30 a.m.

I drive over to another state building to proof the Quest for Success curriculum to ensure that the specifications are correct. The specs are correct, so I sign off and head back over to the Claiborne building in time to ensure that everything goes smoothly as we transition to breakout sessions.

10:00 a.m.

I make sure that the group is evenly split into their groups and lead them to their breakout rooms. Before I leave to help our office administrator carry in lunch for the group, I make sure that our corporate partners are setup to present and all of their IT needs are taken care of.

10:30 a.m.

I step out of the training and run to a colleague’s office for a Zoom meeting with Google to discuss their HBCU (Historically Black Colleges & Universities) Computer Science initiative. I copy down the information to share and get in a quick plug about the Broad Residency. I have to duck out of the meeting early to answer a call from state printing.

11:00 a.m.

I run back down to the main meeting room and answer a few random emails before I send a quick email about the Google opportunity to a few of my colleagues and associates that are involved in this work and I believe have access to the students that we are seeking.

11:30 a.m.

All of the trainers return back to the main meeting room and we have lunch and talk about how the training is going and ways that I can help to support them. I use this time to recruit two of the trainers to lead a special professional development session that we are hosting at the Claiborne building in July. They agree, so I add drafting the contracts to my mental list of tasks to complete before the end of the day.

12:30 p.m.

All of the trainers and facilitators head back to their breakout rooms. I spend the next hour and a half rotating between sessions to hear the trainers rehearse presenting their presentations. I also give some feedback and encourage the trainers to be genuine and remember why we are doing this work.

2:00 p.m.

I head to a manager huddle to hear about our state academic plan for the next year. I get a chance to catch up with some of my team and check a few emails before I head back to the Quest for Success training that I’m hosting.

3:00 p.m.

I make it back to the main training room as the breakout groups are returning from break and we are gathering back into the main group. We share parting instructions with the trainers and answer any last minute questions that they have concerning the professional development that they received. This results in a to-do list for me to ensure that our trainers are prepared for their upcoming sessions.

4:00 p.m.

Our trainers depart and I have a quick meeting with our corporate partners about a scheduled call the next day with our curriculum evaluation vendor to discuss the feedback from the pilot teachers on the last few units of the curriculum.

4:30 p.m.

I have my office administrator meet me downstairs where we gather up all the materials that we used. We also use this time to ensure that we are taking care of all administrative requirements to close out the training.

5:00 p.m.

I head back up to my office and draft two contracts for the special training session that I will be hosting in July. After I send them to a colleague to review, I check in with my manager to give him a short status update on the activities for that day.

5:45 p.m.

I check my calendar to make sure that I don’t have any new meeting invites from my manager and then I head home for the night.